Subscribe and Save 10% on all Boxes of 18!
January 24, 2020
We do not live on Breakfast Cookies alone -- here at Susie's Smart Cookie.
Michele recently made this Short Rib Ragu for her family using a recipe from Tasty.
She boosted the Omega-3s in this recipe by using canola oil for browning the ribs and by adding 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxmeal with the liquid ingredients. No one in her family noticed the flaxmeal, so I would suggest adding 2-3 Tablespoons.She served the ragu with pasta but it would be good with polenta too! She also prepared the recipe in her slow cooker.
Ingredients for 6 servings
2 lb bone-in beef short rib, cut into 2 inch pieces (grass-fed if possible)
3 tsp salt
3 tsp ground black pepper, more to taste
1 TBS canola oil
a c yellow onion diced
1 1/2 c carrot diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS tomato paste
2 cups red wine
28 oz crushed tomato
1 c beef stock
1 TBS dijon mustard
2 bay leaves
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 c water as needed
2 lb pappardelle pasta
fresh parsley and grated Parmesan for garnish
1. Pat ribs w paper towels to remove excess moisture, then season generously with 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp pepper.
2. Add canola in a Dutch oven or the slow cooker and heat over high heat until shimmering. Add half the ribs and sear on each side til deep brown about 7 min. Repeat with remaining ribs.
3. Discard all but 1 TBS of rendered fat. Add onion, carrot, garlic and 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Saute until softened, about 5 min.
4. Add tomato paste and saute for a few min, until dark and thickened.
5. Pour in wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape browned bits from bottom. Reduce liquid by half, about 15 min.
6. Add tomatoes, beef stock, mustard, bay leaves, thyme and flaxseed meal to the pot and stir to combine.
7 Add the ribs, making sure the meat is submerged. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. (Or, if using the crock pot, put on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours). Add up to 1 cup water as needed if sauce gets too thick. Skim off excess fat off the top as needed. The ribs are done when the meat pulls apart easily.
8. Discard bay leaves and thyme. Transfer ribs to a cutting board and pull out the bones and shred the meat, then return to the pot.
9. Season to taste and simmer for 15 min over low heat.
10. Cook pasta or polenta according to directions and place in shallow bowls. Scoop ragu on top and garnish with parmesan and parsley.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
May 17, 2020
May 12, 2020
May 11, 2020